Reading allows us to be transported from our own world to another. Between the pages of a book, we can become immersed in the lives of fictional characters and learn about a culture entirely different from our own. We can also learn new words and phrases, experience a range of emotions, and acquire skills and knowledge.
Reading has lots of benefits:
- Your will improve your vocabulary. It will become larger and more extensive.
- You will improve your progress in all subject areas in school.
- Your imagination can run wild!
- You will develop more creative skills.
- You will develop a deeper understanding of real life situations. .
- You will gain a deeper understanding of what is going on in the world.
- Your concentration levels will improve.
- You will improve relationships with others.
- You will become more perceptive and will be able to reason better.
- Your social skills and interaction will improve.
To summarise… reading makes you a better person and it will improve your life chances and opportunities. Reading is a life skill!
Students can now access thousands of interesting and entertaining articles on Accelerated Reading (AR), that are categorised by subject, or can be specifically searched.
Guide to AR and reading at Cowley:
Once students have read the articles, they can ‘quiz’ on them, to assess their understanding. Unfortunately, the quizzes for the articles do not generate points for reading targets – students still need to ensure that they’re accessing books via Sora for this – but the articles provide extra reading material for you to enjoy. Watch this guide of how to access this feature, below.