CIVIL ENGINEERING DEGREE APPRENTICESHIP VACANCY
Are you interested in earning while you learn and graduating with no student loans? Do you want to progress towards professional qualifications at a faster rate than going to university full time? Would you like to be part of a successful high‐growth SME?
Flinders Chase is a specialist consultancy, based in Liverpool, providing highway engineering, transport planning, project management and technical services to private and public sector clients in the North of England and beyond. In our tenth year with continuous growth and a
full order book, we are looking for a core team member to support the highways and transportation team. Our team includes a diverse mix of degree apprentices, graduates, Principal Engineers and Directors with over 30 years’ experience.
We are offering a 5‐year full‐time Degree Apprenticeship in civil engineering. The successful candidate will work four days a week providing technical support to Civil Engineers in our office and attend University one day a week studying for a Bachelor of Civil Engineering
(with Honours). You will receive formal training in a range of areas and there is no cost to you for your university studies or other training.
The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) is the professional membership body for civil engineering. They support and accredit civil engineers and will be an important part of your journey to become a civil engineer. There are three levels of professional accreditation: Engineering Technician (EngTech), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and Chartered Engineer (CEng).
We will support you to be able to sit an examination for the qualification of Engineering Technician (EngTech) with the Institution of Civil Engineers during your degree studies. On successful completion of the full Degree Apprenticeship, you will undertake a formal assessment to become a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE) as an
Incorporated Engineer (IEng). There will be further opportunities to complete further study at Masters Degree level to progress to being a Chartered Engineer, if this is the right route for you.
You will primarily be working within the Highways and Transportation team on highways design and transport planning projects. We work for major clients and contractors across the UK in undertaking highways design, active travel routes design and transport assessments for major capital projects. You will also have opportunities to work with our
Capital Projects team on major education building projects across the UK, undertaking project management activities.
As an integral part of our small team, you will be supported to develop new skills including Building Information Modelling (BIM), digital engineering skills and specialist traffic modelling software, as well as satisfying key professional competencies required by the apprenticeship frameworks. You will work closely with Chartered Civil Engineers and work on projects in a multi‐disciplinary environment. In a typical week you will…
- Prepare AutoCAD drawings for highway improvements and active travel routes
- Gather, analyse and report on travel surveys
- Assist in preparing technical reports for transport planning commissions, which assess the effects of developments on the highway network
- Visit site with more senior staff to assess the conditions, take measurements and photographs
- Attend team meetings and contribute ideas for engineering solutions
- Attend university one day a week alongside full‐time students and other degree apprentices
- To be interested in improving the world around you, enthusiastic and enjoy working in a team
- To want to become a civil engineer
- Good communication skills, including writing reports with good English
- To have achieved, or be expected to achieve, at least three A‐Levels which must include Mathematics and a physical science subject at grades B or above (equivalent Level 3 courses such as a BTEC or T‐Level with a Distinction will also be considered)
- To be able to travel to the office in Liverpool City Centre
- To be an eligible “home” student able to work and study in the UK without visa restrictions
To be considered for this position you will need to provide the following and email it to email@example.com:
- CV including details of any work experience, and your education including dates, grades, and what you studied (or are studying)
- Covering letter demonstrating your passion, why you are interested in this position, and how your skills and education/qualifications support your application
If you have any queries or would like to speak to someone about the opportunity, please phone 0151 556 1985 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Expected Start Date: August 2022
Salary: £16,500 per annum
Closing Date for Applications is 16:00 Friday 22 April 2022.
Interviews for shortlisted candidates will be held in the week commencing 09 May 2022 in Liverpool.