Advice and support
The DfE have launched a new helpline to answer questions about COVID-19 related to education. Staff, parents and young people can contact the helpline as follows:
Phone: 0800 046 8687
Opening hours: 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday)
Date: 25th February 2020
Answers to common questions
Re: COVID–19 Advice for schools and educational settings
You may be aware that advice for travellers from affected areas has recently changed and it has come to our attention that this may affect children and staff returning from school trips. Please be aware that this is a fast-evolving situation and we will continue to share any new advice at the earliest opportunity.
As of today (25th February) advice for returning travellers is as follows;
1) If you have returned from the following areas since February 19, call NHS111 to inform them of your recent travel, stay indoors and avoid contact with other people even if you do not have symptoms:
- Specific lockdown areas in Northern Italy* as designated by the Government of Italy:
In the Lombardy Region:
- Bertonico; Casalpusterlengo; Castelgerundo; Castiglione D’Adda; Codogno; Fombio; Maleo; San Fiorano; Somaglia; and Terranova dei Passerini
In the Veneto Region: Vo
A map has been published to help detail the relevant areas.
- Daegu or Cheongdo (Republic of Korea)
- Hubei province, China (returned in the past 14 days)
2) If you have returned from the following areas since February 19th:
- Northern Italy (see map)
Or If you have returned to the UK from any of the following areas in the last 14 days:.
- Other parts of China outside Hubei province
- Republic of Korea
- Hong Kong
You should stay indoors at home and avoid contact with other people immediately and call NHS111 only if you develop symptoms.
Further guidance for educational settings has been published at the following links and will be updated as soon as possible with the above advice and any further changes: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19
Information for the public: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public
Occasionally, one or more of your staff or pupils may be asked to self-isolate because they are a contact of a confirmed case or have been to the specified towns and regions in Italy or other specified countries. The student or staff member will be given specific advice from NHS111. In this instance there is nothing further for the school to do. There is no need for schools to close.
Public Health England