As today is Safer Internet Day, we wanted to share some useful resources with you about keeping your child safe online.
There is plenty of support available to keep your child safe online.
Below are some useful links:
- Safer Internet Day – this event takes place annually and their website has lots of great information and resources about using the net safely
- ThinkUknow (advice from the National Crime Agency to stay safe online)
- #OnlineSafetyAtHome packs (simple 15 minute activities you can do with your family to support their online safety at home, including video guides and family activity sheets for parents and carers)
- Internet matters (support for parents and carers to keep their children safe online)
- Parent info (support for parents and carers to keep their children safe online)
- LGfL (support for parents and carers to keep their children safe online)
- Net-aware (support for parents and carers from the NSPCC)
- Vodafone ‘Digital Parenting’ (advice and tips from Vodafone)
Online safety tips for parents
- Ensure your child shares their password with you to enable you to monitor ‘chat’.
- Educate your child to never put pictures of themselves, members of the family, friends etc on Facebook or other social media sites.
- If your child has access to a web camera, make sure you know when and what it is being used for.
- Ensure that the online parental controls are set correctly, and please do not ask your child how to do this, ask a trusted friend or refer to your internet service provider.
- Use the ‘Report Abuse’ facility on social media sites; they are an excellent way to report any suspicious activity.
You don’t have to be paranoid, you just have to ensure you know what your child is doing when they are using a computer or internet connected mobile phone/tablet.
You can report ANYTHING that you are concerned about to Cowley using our SHARP system. Reports to this system are picked up by PC Kate. You can report confidentially. Remember, if you have a concern about yourself, or someone else – tell, tell, tell: Report using the SHARP system.